Monday, July 1, 2013

Box Art: SPPLAT ATTACK!

Collecting physical media is a quickly dying hobby.  Digital media is becoming more overwhelming and prevalent.  Streaming services offer a seemingly unlimited amount of titles.  However, the titles on Netflix and others are pushed at you based on their restricion rights with the hopes of gaining the most profit.  Likewise, the temporary nature and inferior quality of that digital content offers no sense of ownership.  However, not all physical media is better than the box it comes in, ie: the most obvious cash grab for a career on the downward spiral ever made: William Shatner's SPPLAT ATTACK!

The Description on the box:
"Part sci-fi adventure, part Reality TV survival game and part extreme sports, William Shatner takes on a familiar role as commander of Earth's forces in a galactic confrontation fought with real paintball weapons.

Shot on location and involving plots from classic Star Trek episodes like "The Squire Gothos" and "The Gamesters of Triskelion," Spplat Attack provides a window into the true commander and conquer strategies possessed by Shatner, who battles against teams lead by shock jock Mancow and paintball pioneer Tom Kaye."

Holy god.  I am so baffled.  It starts with Shatner trying to land a fan parachute dealy, and he totally gets his leg caught under him.  Maybe the funniest thing I've seen in years.  
This is really a geek paintball instructional video with teams like the Borg, the Klingons, The Federation, etc...  It's done in probably the cheapest, most awkward way possible.  
The plot:
An alien known as Big Giant Head is attacking a paintball course outside Chicago.  Or something.  Then there are rules.  Teams go against each other.  That's about as far as I got before I turned it off.  Don't get me wrong, this was extremely entertaining and hilarious and I am so happy to have seen what I did.  I just know that I would become suicidally depressed if I watched this whole thing by myself.

-J. Moret

If you want to see a quick clip for it:

No comments:

Post a Comment